Friday 25 December 2015

The third lesson: 21st December 2015

Aiman's reflections and musings. 

The third class with Yousef is by far my favourite! I appreciated the feedback I received from Adlina and Irfan - and decided to play with pictures.

Guess what? Pictures did the trick!

Since our theme for the second week is: Places/Setting, I decided to create a lesson plan on: Places around the world. What inspired this lesson was when I remembered how Yousef said "IFFEL" instead of Eiffel tower, because that's how they pronounce it in Arabic.

So I decided - I am going to teach Yousef how to pronounce places in the world properly.

I created a PowerPoint Presentation consisting of 30 pictures of famous places around the world. Amongst the places include:

The Eiffel Tower, Paris.
The Great Wall of China, Beijing.
The Leaning Tower of Pisa, Rome.
Glow Worm Cave, New Zealand.
The Big Bang, London.
The Grand Canyon, USA.

Etc2.

I was really happy that Yousef enjoyed the pictures that were shown to him, and he was super enthusiastic! We went through the slides and pictures, and I even pointed things out to him that were present in the pictures like:

Green Grass
Blue Sky
Black Bridge
Red Flowers
Lamps
Clock
Tower
Hot Air Balloon
Green Tree
Green Plant

Etc2.

It took him a while to actually memorize the list, but I was really proud of him once he did.

At the end of the lesson, he told me,

"I like pictures you show."

So that made me feel happy and satisfied.

I told Yousef that I'd do a short assessment for him regarding the things we learnt in the next lesson.



Showing pics to Yousef on my laptop! (When technology plays it part well). 



Najibah


Yasmin


Madihah


Irfan


Adlina


2 comments:

  1. Aiman, how is this lesson different from the previous one where scripts were used? How do you see Yousef's progress thusfar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He learns better with pictures because then he knows what exactly we're talking about. By listening, there are some words he doesn't understand, and in order to make him understand, pictures work!!!! Yousef's progress is OK, but his communication is still a little rusty since his vocabulary is limited. Working on that!!!!

    ReplyDelete