Friday 25 December 2015

The second lesson: 18th December 2015

Hi there!

The second lesson went smoothly, alhamdulillah. Lessons started a little later than expected. I think we should all watch ourselves for tardiness - not appreciated, ya? Anyhow, all were seen satisfied at the end of the day. Amanda was there as well today to assist Najibah with Sajja. 


Aiman's Reflections/Musings. 

Since I couldn't make it for the second class with Yousef, Adlina and Irfan were kind enough to step in for me. I decided to play with the communicative approach, so I wrote a few scripts for both Irfan and Adlina to act out.

SCRIPTS

SCRIPT 1

Teacher 1: Hi!
Teacher 2: Hey!
Teacher 1: How’s it going?
Teacher 2: I’m a little sad today.
Teacher 1: Why?
Teacher 2: Someone stole my chocolate cake, you see.
Teacher 1: Who?
Teacher 2: I don’t know! I was looking forward to eating it.
Teacher 1: It could have been Farah.
Teacher 2: How do you know?
Teacher 1: I saw her holding a plate of chocolate cake this morning.
Teacher 2: But, she wouldn’t steal my chocolate cake!
Teacher 1: You never know for sure.

Questions

1) Who was talking?
2) How old are the people talking?
3) Why did one of them feel sad?
4) Who stole the chocolate cake?
5) How did they know she stole the chocolate cake?
6) Do you think she stole it?

SCRIPT 2 

Teacher 1: Hi there.
Teacher 2: Hey, are you ok?
Teacher 1: Not really.
Teacher 2: Why?
Teacher 1: I’m stressed out.
Teacher 2: Want to talk about it?
Teacher 1: I can’t pay my school fees.
Teacher 2: Why not?
Teacher 1: I haven’t got enough money.
Teacher 2: I thought you’ve been saving your money?
Teacher 1: I did at first.
Teacher 2: What do you mean?
Teacher 1: Then I spent it.
Teacher 2: On what?
Teacher 1: On food!
Teacher 2: *gasp*
Teacher 1: Don’t judge me!
Teacher 2: What kind of food?
Teacher 1: Steak. Lots and lots of steak.
Teacher 2: Where?!
Teacher 1: Tony Romas!
Teacher 2: It’s okay. You still have time to pay your school fees.
Teacher 1: I do?
Teacher 2: Yep. Now, instead of buying steak, why don’t you cook it?
Teacher 1: Yeah. That would be a lot cheaper, wouldn’t it?
Teacher 2: Exactly.

Questions

1) Who felt stressed out?
2) Why did he/she feel stressed out?
3) Why couldn’t he/she pay his/her school fees?
4) What did he/she spend his/her money on?
5) What did Teacher 2 ask Teacher 1 to do?

SCRIPT 3

Teacher 1: Yo!
Teacher 2: Hey, hey, hey!
Teacher 1: You want to know something?
Teacher 2: Go on?
Teacher 1: I really miss the beach.
Teacher 2: What do you miss most?
Teacher 1: The sound of the waves….
Teacher 2: And?
Teacher 1: Surfing.
Teacher 2: No way – you, surf?
Teacher 1: Yep, I surf.
Teacher 2: Dude, that’s so cool. You have to teach me!
Teacher 1: I will, if you take me to the beach.
Teacher 2: Okay, but you pay the petrol money.
Teacher 1: No problem.

Questions

1) Who missed the beach?
2) What did he/she miss about the beach?
3) What did teacher 2 ask teacher 1 to do once that he/she learnt he/she could surf?
4) Who has to pay the petrol money?

SCRIPT 4

Teacher 1: Hey, what’s your favourite animal?
Teacher 2: It’d definitely be a Chameleon.
Teacher 1: Why?
Teacher 2: Because they can change colours.
Teacher 1: That’s it?
Teacher 2: Iguanas can protect me.
Teacher 1: How?
Teacher 2: By biting the people I don’t like.
Teacher 1: That’s so scary…
Teacher 2: Nope. Very good actually. So, what’s your favourite animal?
Teacher 1: It’d definitely be a cat.
Teacher 2: Why?
Teacher 1: Because cats are cute.
Teacher 2: And?
Teacher 1: They will love you.
Teacher 2: Fair enough. They can’t beat iguanas, though!

Questions

1) What’s teacher 1’s favourite animal?
2) Why is it his/her favourite animal?
3) What’s teacher 2’s favourite animal?
4) Why is it his/her favourite animal?
5) Which animal do you prefer – iguanas or cats?
6) What is your favourite animal?
7) Why?

Feedback from Adlina and Irfan: 

- The script was a little too hard for him to grasp. 
- They changed the animals to Cat and Chicken.
- The lesson ended really fast. 
- They taught him animals, colours, and he "liked that." 
- Yousef learns best with pictures. 

Persistence is KEY!

Irfan..

Diana...

Madihah..

Adlina...

Yasmin...

No comments:

Post a Comment